SBC Series of messages preached by Bro Koshi Mathew. Full text to be put up later.
Assurance of Salvation
1 Jn 5:13
The most important thing in the life of an individual is to know God personally. As a result of sin man had lost relation with God, yet God came in search of sinful man. Peace and reconciliation with God is the greatest aspect that can happen in his life. This personal experience is referred as ‘born again’. Lord told Nicodimus unless you are born again you cannot enter into the kingdom of God. Once you are born of the Spirit, you are eternally safe in His hand. I have engraved thee in my palms. Oh! What an assurance from the Almighty God. (Jn.10:27-28; Isa.49:16). None can “kidnap” us from His hand.
When a person turns from sinful living and receives Jesus Christ as Savior, he is born into the family of God. Such a person is referred as “saved”. Holy Spirit witnesses to man’s spirit that he is the child of God. Any one can come to Christ and obtain this privilege to be called as the child of God (Jn 1:12; Rom 10:9; 8:16; Jn 3:3, 5; Acts 16:31).
How do I know that I am born of God?
John wrote Gospel “to have life through His name”. Whereas he wrote Epistle “to know that ye have eternal life” (Jn 20:31; 1 Jn 5:13)
John gives five conclusive proofs to know whether a person has eternal life and is born of God or not.
1. Life of faith. Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God. 1Jn 5:1; “believeth” is a continuous process
2. Life free from sin. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin. 1Jn 3:9. He will not continue in sin or practise sin
3. Life of righteousness. Every one that doeth righteousness is born of Him (God).1Jn 2:29; See also 3:7, 8 “doeth” is positive.
4. Life of Love. 1Jn 4:7 a) Love for God 1Jn 4:7 b) Love for brethren 1 Jn 5:1 d) Love for the lost Jn 4:4 e) No love for the world.1Jn 2:15
5. Life of Victory. 1Jn 5:4 a) Victory over the power of indwelling sin. Rom 7:24 b) Victory over world 1Jn 5:4-5 c) victory over flesh, Rom 8: 5-9 d) victory over devil.1 Jn 3:8; Jam 4:7
Lord brings certain contrast between saved and unsaved
Read Matt. 7:13-27
1. Two ways 2.Two trees 3. Two builders
Who is an apostate?
An Apostate is a person who appears like a believer but not truly a believer. Classical example is Judas Iscariot also read Heb. 6:1-8
Bro. Koshy Mathew